Data is generated at a whirlwind speed today and has crossed the human threshold capacity of analysis – it is today considered to be the mainstay for technological advancement! Artificial intelligence (AI) facilitates us to cope with this bulk information, analyse the data and employ the insights to improve decision-making. Commonly harnessed by policymakers, opinion leaders, observers, corporations and even democracies, AI is steadily impacting the world and is raising important questions for society, the economy and governance. The recent times have witnessed novel applications in the domains of finance, national security, healthcare, criminal justice, transportation and smart cities to resolve problems viz. data access, biases, data management and ethics and transparency. AI has proven to be the answer to such impending crises as it operates in an intentional, smart and adaptive manner.
The role of an AI engineer
An AI engineer builds models using their domain knowledge in machine learning algorithms and deep learning neural networks to draw insights that can be amalgamated to generate successful business decisions. AI engineers usually have profound understanding of programming, software engineering and data science. A recent study has concluded that Artificial Intelligence is one of the top strategic technology trends for 2021, thereby making AI engineering a “hot” career option to pursue.
Skills-sets for a career in AI
- Proficiency in programming: Since AI requires humans to train machines to learn about data and the environment, understanding machine language is of prime importance. AI engineers need to be well-versed in programming languages such as Python, R, Java and C++ to successfully build models.
- Understanding algorithms and frameworks: In-depth knowledge on machine learning algorithms like linear regression, KNN, Naive Bayes and Support Vector Machine helps implement AI models. For unstructured data, understanding deep learning algorithms viz. convolutional neural network, recurrent neural network and generative adversarial network is advisable. Common frameworks used by AI engineers include PyTorch, Theano, TensorFlow and Caffe. Thorough understanding of these algorithms and frameworks make AI simpler to decode and learn.
- Master of advanced mathematics: A mathematical bent of mind can learn the nuances of AI quickly. Understanding of linear algebra, probability and statistics can help implement different AI models namely Hidden Markov models, Gaussian mixture models, Naive Bayes as well as linear discriminant analysis.
- Expertise in communication and troubleshooting: Although these are skills required for almost all jobs today, communication is a must-have since AI engineers often have to pitch their ideas to stakeholders. The role might even involve detailed presentations to be given to the senior management. Excellent problem-solving skills are also a requisite.
- Working with Spark and big data technologies: Since this job involves large volumes of data, AI engineers have to be conversant about Spark and other big data technologies. Hadoop, Cassandra and MongoDB are some domains that the engineer has to master.
We are a centre of excellence
The NAAC-accredited and MAKAUT-affiliated OmDayal Group of Institutions is responsible for churning out skilled engineers with a zeal for creativity and innovation. As the leading engineering college in West Bengal, the industry-centric engineering courses offered by us include:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
The ever-changing technological landscape required for engineering jobs both in India and abroad has inspired us to continuously upgrade our teaching and learning methodology in sync with global standards. We empower each and every student with the competitive edge and required skills to perform confidently in the new-age technology domain. Our industry-oriented facilities include flexible timings and partnership with National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) for on-job training and placement opportunities.
For more information, visit www.omdayal.com